Friday, March 7, 2008

::sigh:: Peter Pan Syndrome again

Well, it's my last time to post before we leave. I didn't get to post Wednesday, because in Silver City, there is no Internet reception. Sorry, readers.

Joanne is another one of those little sisters I never had. Like Katie and Shelby, or my SCA sisters, Elena and Caitlin. She and I ride together, walk together, talk together, think together, play together, and laugh together. This time, though, the visit was almos cruelly short. The girls had school, so we did not see them until they got home, but once they were home, everything was fun, with talk about blades, games of poker, and much talk and laughter. The next morning, though, Sarah had school, and Joanne got to stay home for the first half of the day, but it wasn't near enough, and then we had to leave early to make it back home to Aunt Sally's for dinner. But dinner was good, too.

We talked a lot about old times. We found a picture that had been taken in January of 1984. I wasn't even a year old, yet. Jesse, Melanie, David and I all reminisced. Almost made me tear up.

Tonight, my brother, cousin Jesse, his girl Allie, and I al had a last hurrah before we leave tomorrow morning, and it was fitting. We're all grown up, now. I'll probably be proposing to my lady next summer, Megan had Danny, and Uncle Dick had Tommy, so they're around the same age (9 or so) and they are the second generation of us. Now Elise has Aiden and Megan has Tyler, and they're around the same age, too (2, maybe?). Life goes full circle, and I guess I cannot let go of the old without tears. They were such happy, happy times. But then, I remember Brad Paisley's song lyrics "Have no fear, these are nowhere near the best years of your life!" Or the old poem "Come, grow old with me, the best is yet to be!"

It's an enormous test, growing up. It tests your trust and faith in God that you can accomplish it, and that He is in control of everything. Here's to passing with flying colors!

1 comment:

firebirdsinger said...

I agree with Brad Paisley. There's a quote that I like from this movie, "Hope Floats." It says "Daddy used to say that we should cherish childhood, and that they were the best years of life. But I think Mama's right. She says that childhood is what we spend the rest of our lives trying to overcome." Childhood is wonderful, but I think it'll pale in the joys that adulthood, parenthood, marriage, will bring. And just think-we have the rest of our lives to be brother and sister. Isn't that amazing?