Sunday, February 3, 2008

Of the SCA, friends, and archery!

So! Lazy Super Bowl Sunday. Kick off's in roughly 3 hours. Just enough time for me to update and let you guys (however few there are) in on what's been going on.

I hate talking about school, so I won't. Other than that, there was one day when Dave, Mike, Billy and I went disc golfing, which we hadn't done since...gosh, it must have been at least November of last year! We did pretty well, though. Mike and Billy each made aat least one really good tee off, and Mike also had a pair of awesomely aimed long distance putts. I guess it was just his day to rock! We all had a great time, though. There are many things I love doing simply for the fact that I do it with friends. I don't care so much about the sport, though I admit it does help lighten the mood when it's something we all enjoy.

Another thing like that is gaming! Billy's an incredible DM, and Friday's game was one of the best we've ever had! For one thing, everyone was there, including Chris, whose NEVER come to one of our games before! THAT was awesome! We also loved the fact that since we just completed our grand campaign, Billy decided that this game would be set...in the present day! We all played ourselves! Billy had cooked up character sheets as honestly as he could think, and I think he pretty well nailed it on the head. The plot was a zombie attack! We all got to think of what we should do, what would happen, where we would go, and all that. It was over in one evening, but it was a blast!

The next day was Candlemas. This even marked my seven year anniversary in the SCA. It was also Billy's first event, too! I love the fact that he enjoyed himself, especially in dancing! Caedmon is still the best dancer I've ever met!
I taught a class too, this year, but it wasn't so much a class as it was a discussion: "So, You Wanna Be An Outlaw..." There were more people (all grown men, including Billy) there than I ever thought would be, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, going through scenarios and ideas of what life was like once you'd become an outlaw; what skills would come in handy, where and how to live, what would be smart or dumb to do...a good time indeed.

Kolr Bogsveigr came over from Conway, too. He's a close personal friend of mine and many others in Grey Niche, including Their Majesties. He's also the best archer in the Kingdom. In fact, out of 404 archers around the world, he ranks number 35! (I'm number 44, and the second best archer in the kingdom...at least, according to online SCA sources. Incidentally, out of the 43 people who beat me, only about four or five use longbows like me!) Anyway, all bragging aside, (sorry, readers) Kolr gave me a string jig yesterday. It's a specially designed board used for measuring and making a Flemish twist style bowstring the proper length and structure for each individual bow. We're gonna get together again later in the month and make strings and shoot! Gonna be a great time!

Speaking of shooting, Dad and I were able to get in a round around the backyard before the rain started. No broken arrows this time! I still need a heck of a lot more before Gulf Wars (which Billy's coming to heopefully this year!) if I plan on competing in the Grand Exhibition Tourney (which I do! I need to practice more).

This week's forecast: more shooting, some homework, and enough good times to last me the rest of my life!

(By the way, I just found an old post I had written, saved as a draft, and forgotten to post completely! It's up, now, but you have to go back to November to read it. "Return To Us..." or something like that, or close to it. Post on it, if you like. Thanks!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun but I reiterate when are you coming by to see me and my new place, I even have kitties.....Pixie

Bobby said...

Whenever a busy school/work/social schedule allows! God bless!

Anonymous said...

well darn it just give me a heads up if something opens up. You've got my number. Any idea why Nykki won't talk to me? Pixie

Bobby said...

God bless, I've talked to you more recently than I have her. I've fallen out of touch with many people since the old days.